The global oil & gas cybersecurity market is on a trajectory of significant growth, poised to witness a Compound Annual Growth Rate (CAGR) of 5.8% during the period of 2023 to 2030. As the oil and gas industry continues to embrace digitalization and faces evolving threats, the demand for robust cybersecurity solutions is expected to soar, reaching an estimated market size of US$44.2 billion by 2030.
Leaders in Cybersecurity Adoption
Oil and gas giants OMV, ExxonMobil, and Equinor have emerged as leaders in adopting cybersecurity measures within the industry. These companies recognize the critical need to safeguard their operations and sensitive data against escalating cyber threats.
Prominent Cybersecurity Vendors
Leading cybersecurity vendors serving the oil & gas industry include Siemens Energy, RigNet, Fortinet, Forescout, Mission Secure, Sectrio, Kognitiv Spark, XONA, Darktrace, and EY. These firms offer a wide range of cybersecurity solutions tailored to meet the unique challenges faced by the sector.
Key Growth Drivers
The oil & gas industrys escalating demand for cybersecurity solutions is driven by several factors:
- Critical Data Protection and Privacy: With the global energy industry expanding and the continuous import and export of oil and gas resources, protecting sensitive data from cyberattacks has become imperative. Cyber threats pose risks to confidential information, production sharing contracts, and operational data.
- Increased Digitalization: The industrys digital transformation, including the adoption of IoT devices, remote monitoring, automation, and data analytics, has expanded the attack surface for cyber threats. Robust cybersecurity solutions are essential to mitigate these risks.
- Rising Cyber Threats: The oil and gas sector, being critical infrastructure, is increasingly vulnerable to cyber threats. The frequency and sophistication of cyberattacks, including ransomware and supply chain attacks, have surged, necessitating advanced threat detection and response solutions.
- Evolving Attack Vectors: The convergence of information technology (IT) and operational technology (OT) networks introduces new security challenges. Artificial intelligence (AI) and machine learning (ML) are leveraged to enhance security measures and identify emerging threats.
Key Growth Barriers
Challenges faced by the industry include:
- Legacy Systems: Many companies in the oil and gas sector rely on legacy infrastructure not designed with cybersecurity in mind. Modernizing these systems while minimizing operational disruptions is a significant challenge.
- Resource Constraints: Budget limitations and a shortage of qualified cybersecurity professionals can hinder efforts to invest in and maintain robust cybersecurity measures.
The oil and gas sector operates in a highly regulated environment, with governments and industry bodies introducing stringent cybersecurity regulations and standards. Compliance with frameworks like NERC CIP and GDPR is not only a legal requirement but also a competitive advantage, driving investment in cybersecurity measures.
Key Trends and Opportunities
Key trends and opportunities in the oil & gas cybersecurity market include the convergence of IT and OT security, advanced threat detection and response, supply chain security, cloud security for remote operations, threat intelligence sharing, workforce training and awareness, compliance-as-a-service, and threat-hunting services.
Upstream Sector Dominates
The upstream sector accounted for more than 50% of the global oil & gas cybersecurity market in 2022, highlighting the critical need for cybersecurity in processes such as drilling and maintaining exploratory wells.
Services Segment Leading
The services segment dominated the market in 2022, constituting 39.3% by value. It offers tailored cybersecurity solutions for upstream, midstream, and downstream sectors.
Cloud Security in High Demand
Cloud security led the market in 2022, with over 50% market share, offering oil and gas companies advantages such as minimal investment and clear monthly operating expenses.
North America and Europe collectively hold more than 70% of the global oil & gas cybersecurity market share. Asia Pacific is witnessing strong growth, driven by the need to protect critical assets and bolster safe practices.
Industry Expert Insights
The energy sector remains a prime target for cyberattacks due to its critical infrastructure. The industrys increasing reliance on IT/OT convergence, supply chain security, and innovative technologies requires a proactive approach to cybersecurity. Compliance with regulations and investments in employee training are critical to building a resilient defense against evolving cyber threats.
The oil & gas cybersecurity market is dynamic, with constant technological advancements and evolving threats. Key players in the industry include CISCO, Symantec Corporation, Honeywell Corporation, Intel Corporation, GE, Microsoft Corporation, Siemens AG, Parson Corporation, Rapid7, ABB, Schneider, and others.
In conclusion, the oil & gas cybersecurity market is set for substantial growth, driven by the industrys digitalization and the increasing sophistication of cyber threats. Companies are investing in cybersecurity solutions to protect their critical operations and data, ensuring a secure and dependable energy supply for consumers.
Global Oil and Gas Cybersecurity Industry Analysis, Size, Share, Growth, Trends, Regional Outlook, and Forecast 2023-2030 (By Type Coverage, By Sector Coverage, By Component Coverage, By Geographic Coverage and Leading Companies)
Visit Our Trending Blogs:
Fairfield Market Research is a UK-based market research provider. Fairfield offers a wide spectrum of services, ranging from customized reports to consulting solutions. With a strong European footprint, Fairfield operates globally and helps businesses navigate through business cycles, with quick responses and multi-pronged approaches. The company values an eye for insightful take on global matters, ably backed by a team of exceptionally experienced researchers. With a strong repository of syndicated market research reports that are continuously published & updated to ensure the ever-changing needs of customers are met with absolute promptness.
Fairfield Market Research
UK +44 (0)20 30025888
USA (Toll-free) +1 (844) 3829746
Email: [email protected]
This press release first seen on Brilad
Disclaimer: The views, suggestions, and opinions expressed here are the sole responsibility of the experts. No Watch Mirror journalist was involved in the writing and production of this article.